Posted on March 18th, 2011
Hi, and welcome to our 31st Russian slang and idioms lesson!
Sorry, I know I haven’t posted in a while… It’s been crazy busy with the grad school, this is my final semester and I’m working on a big project for my big project class.. But I promise to try to post regularly to make sure you learn something new every day :).
До посинения [da pa-si-NYE-ni-ya]
До посинения literally means until someone becomes blue…. or in other words, for a very long time…
Давай я тебе помогу, один ты будешь работать над этим до посинения.
[da-VAY YA ti-BYE pa-ma-GOO a-DIN TEE BOO-dish ra-BO-tat’ nad E-tim da pa-si-NYE-ni-ya]
Let me help you, otherwise you’ll end up working on this for a very long time.
Долгая история [DOL-ga-ya is-TO-ri-ya]
this one is easy to remember it means the same thing in English – it’s a long story.
– Почему ты опоздал на работу?
– Длинная история…
[pa-chi-MOO TEE apaz-DAL na ra-BO-too
– Why are you late for work?
– Long story…
Семимильными шагами [sye-mi-MIL’-nee-mi sha-GA-mi]
If translated literally means to move in steps that are seven miles long, idiom Семимильными шагами means to achieve something very quickly.
Она идёт семимильными шагами к успеху.
[a-NA i-DYOT sye-mi-MIL’-nee-mi sha-GA-mi k oos-PYE-hoo]
She is moving rapidly towards success.
I hope you had fun learning new idioms! Here comes the test:
1. What Russian idiom has the same meaning in English?
2. What Russian idiom means “very quickly”?
3. What does idiom “До посинения” mean?
See you soon!
- 20 Words & Expressions from the Conversational Russian Video Course
- The Story behind the Conversational Russian Video Course
- Days of the Week in Russian Video Lesson
- Learn Romantic Phrases in Russian
- How Valentine’s Day is Celebrated in Russia
Study with Maxim Achkasov
The courses of Russian as a foreign language with Russian4real take place online via Skype. The teacher works with adults individually since he is convinced that each person must receive maximum time for practice and professional attention while learning a foreign language.