Posted on October 12th, 2010
Hi and welcome to Russian4real’s slang lesson! I’m Victoria and this is lesson 15!
Here is the video:
Transcript of the video:
Our first idiom for today is oдетый с иголочки [a-DYE-teey s IGO-lach-ki]. We say this about someone who likes fashion and dresses well.
Here is an example:
Я всегда одеваюсь с иголочки, когда иду на работу.
[Ya vsig-DA a-di-VA-yoos’ s i-GO-lach-ki kag-da i-DOO na ra-BO-too]
I always dress well when I go to work.
Our second idiom is Цeпляться к мелочам [tsep-LYAT-sya k mye-la-CHAM]. Usually we say this about someone who likes to pick on things all the time!
For example, you can say:
Мой учитель всегда цепляется к мелочам.
[MOY oo-CHI-tyel’ vseg-DA tsep-LYA-yet-sya k me-lo-CHAM]
My teacher always picks on me.
And the last idiom for today is Говорить на разных языках [ga-va-RIT’ na RAZ-neeh ya-zee-KAH]. Говорить на разных языках means to speak the same language without being able to understand each other.
Мне кажется, что мой босс и я говорим на разных языках.
[MNYE KA-jyet-sya shto moy BOSS i ya ga-va-RIM na RAZ-neeh ya-zi-KAH]
It seems to me that my boss and I do not understand each other.
Great job! Now you are ready for the test!
1. How can you say that someone is picking on you in Russian?
2. What is a Russian idiom for people having a hard time understanding each other?
3. What Russian idiom would you use to say that you like to dress well?
I am sure you’ve done great on the test! Thank you for watching and I’ll see you next week!
- 20 Words & Expressions from the Conversational Russian Video Course
- The Story behind the Conversational Russian Video Course
- Days of the Week in Russian Video Lesson
- Learn Romantic Phrases in Russian
- How Valentine’s Day is Celebrated in Russia
Study with Maxim Achkasov
The courses of Russian as a foreign language with Russian4real take place online via Skype. The teacher works with adults individually since he is convinced that each person must receive maximum time for practice and professional attention while learning a foreign language.