Posted on March 26th, 2011
All new Russian words are summarized at the end of the recipe for you. Have fun!
Ukrainian Borscht Recipe
5 liters of water
1½ -2lb of beef short ribs, or any other beef with bone
3-4 medium potatoes, cubed
Approx. ½ of medium white cabbage, shredded (shred=шинковать [shin-ka-VAT’])
1 medium beetroot, cut julienne
2 medium carrots, cut julienne
2 medium onions, finely chopped (мелко нарезанный [MYEL-ka na-RYE-zan-neey])
1 green or red bell pepper, diced (порезанный кубиками [pa-RYE-zan-neey KOO-bi-ka-mi])
1 tsp of lemon juice
2 medium ripe tomatoes, skin peeled, cut in half, and grated until tomato pulp
3 tbsp of tomato paste
vegetable, sunflower oil (подсолнечное масло [pad-SOL-nich-na-ye MAS-la]), or olive oil for sautéing
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
3 bay leaves
dill springs, finely chopped
parsley springs, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic
a small piece of lard (pig fat) (сало [SA-la])
1. Rinse beef, cut it into bite sized pieces, place it in the pan filled with cold water and cook over medium heat. Bring to boil, then skim fat off stock, and add some salt. Cook for an hour.
2. Add potatoes, bay leaves and peppercorns and cook on a low heat until potatoes are almost cooked, and are still a little firm.
3. Meanwhile, приготовьте зажарку [pri-ga-TOF’-tye za-ZHAR-koo] (sauté vegetables for Borscht): sauté beetroot with vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in a frying pan for 2 min., or until it becomes a little softer. Add onions, carrots, and peppers and sauté vegetables until onions and carrots are golden color. Then add tomato paste and grated tomatoes. You can also add ½ cup of stock, and some freshly ground black pepper, and cook for additional 10 min.
4. When the potatoes are almost cooked, add sautéed vegetables, mix properly, and put the heat back up to medium.
5. When Borscht starts boiling, add shredded cabbage and cook for additional 5-10 min, until cabbage is soft, but still crunchy.
6. Meanwhile, mix crashed garlic with finely chopped lard.
7. When cabbage is cooked, add chopped dill, parsley and garlic-lard mixture (approx. ½ or 1 tbsp. of garlic-lard mixture)
8. Turn the heat off, let stand for at least 5 minutes, and serve hot with sour cream (сметана [smi-TA-na]) and a slice of rye bread, or pampushkas.
If you are not a big fan of lard, don’t worry, you can skip the garlic-lard part and serve Borscht with sour cream, it will be as delicious!
Приятного аппетита! Bon appétit!
Украинский (adj.) Борщ (n.) [ook-ra-INS-kiy BORSCH] – Ukrainian Borscht
шинковать (v.) [shin-ka-VAT’] - shred (cabbage)
мелко (adj.) нарезанный (adv.) [MYEL-ka na-RYE-zan-neey] – finely chopped
порезанный (adv.) кубиками (n.) [pa-RYE-zan-neey KOO-bi-ka-mi] - diced
подсолнечное (adj.) масло (n.) [pad-SOL-nich-na-ye MAS-la] - sunflower oil
сало (n.) [SA-la] – lard (pig fat)
сметана (n.) [smi-TA-na] sour cream
приготовьте (v.) зажарку (n.) [pri-ga-TOF’-tye za-ZHAR-koo] – sauté vegetables (for soups, Borscht)
See you soon!
- Video: First Conjugation Verbs Завтракать, Обедать, Ужинать.
- Russian Curd Fritters (Syrniki) Recipe
- Vareniki Recipe
- Russian Pelmeni Recipe
- Russian Cutlets or Kotleti Recipe
Study with Maxim Achkasov
The courses of Russian as a foreign language with Russian4real take place online via Skype. The teacher works with adults individually since he is convinced that each person must receive maximum time for practice and professional attention while learning a foreign language.